Nearly every town/city has professional brass ensembles that perform educational programs in schools. Most of them would be delighted to collaborate with a program that sheds light on the history and evolution of brass playing. Consider collaborating with a professional brass ensemble for a short residency including an in-school assembly or public performance with your students.
- Members of a professional brass ensemble come into a BfB classroom near the tail end of a course to show students how the modern brass instruments work in relation to the natural trumpet, possibly giving students opportunities to try out the trumpet, trombone, French horn, and tuba.
- The ensemble performs some repertoire in the classroom to highlight the evolution of brass music on modern instruments.
- The ensemble rehearses simple arrangements with students created from the student book.
- The ensemble and students perform for an in-school assembly or public concert.
Sample Program Outline:
- BfB Students perform for 10-15minutes.
- Professional ensemble comes on stage to introduce modern brass instruments and explain how they relate to the natural trumpet.
- BfB students perform selected arrangements with professional brass ensemble to finish first half of program.
- Second half of the program features professional brass ensemble performing repertoire that charts the evolution of music written for brass instruments to the modern day.